Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 19/10/2016 22:40, John Rumm wrote:

Oh and for your information I dont think Linux partioning tools will
allow you to actually specify a granularity less than 4k. so its simply
not possible with the usual tools to misalign a linux partition anyway.

I think you will find that I said that some time ago... Everything has
been 4K aligned since the dawn of Vista, and whatever kernel release of
Linux was current about that time.

You can definitely misalign Linux and windows if you try - we've had it
as a problem on SAN for both if the SAN is configured for the wrong
offset. (and that would apply to both spinning and SSDs).

fdisk will let you choose down to the sector level - eg 512 bytes on
vmware, so TNP is talking out of his arse.

(checked on a 3.13 kernel)