Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which color laser?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:22:48 -0700, wrote:

I must be looking in the wrong places because I have not yet been able
to find out which metals absorb which frequencies of light best. I am
looking at heating various metals with a laser so I need to know which
laser will work best for which metal. Anybody here have any pointers?

Eric, I was reading an article the other day in a signmaking mag about
an engraving/cutting laser, and they were mentioned using a coating to
assist in this. It wasn't detailed, but you might do a search
this.

Could that be coating the metal so that it didn't reflect the energy instead
of absorbing it? I seem to recall having seen that sort of thing a few
times when watching How Its Made.