Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:37:54 +0100, pamela wrote:

snip

I'm not sure what 'problem' you think I'm hitting as such ... I
was just trying to pin down if this whole boundary alignment
thing was fact or fiction .... 'today'?

So, in the absence of any proof that any utility is actually
able to report what might be really going on at the electronics
/ paging level, the only thing left would be to run some before
and after tests and see what sort of improvements are seen (if
any)?

To do that I would first need a suitable utility that was
*known* to really test for such things and not just report what
it thinks it might be seeing (because of some form of caching or
hardware access limitations).

From what I read of your discussion (and I did skip parts)

;-)

I thought
you were asking whether a tool might be misreporting whether it had
aligned boundaries

Yes.

and I assumed this was a problem you had been
experiencing.

No-ish. Yes, I have since checked my SSD'd laptop and found my
boundaries aren't aligned but because the thing seems pretty fast, I
don't *know* that I'm suffering because of said. This thread has
potentially ('re', I knew of it previously) highlighted the whole
thing and got me looking into it.

"if some software (Gparted) can see and display that these
alignments aren't made *and* can set them, is Gparted actually
then *actually / physically* resetting said alignments or
just indicating it is?"

MID:

The link discusses a finding that Gparted rounds down certain small
but sometimes significant offsets that would affect alignment of
partition boundaries.

Ok.

This would be similar to the sort of
misreporting you are discussing.

Yes, well, more 'questioning the possibility of', rather than the
consequences as such. Had my SSD'd laptop run slower than I hoped re
speed improvements (and it doesn't) I might then be looking to this
'boundary alignment' as an issue that *did* actually need attention.

I do have other laptops and netbooks that I have upgraded to SSD's and
one at least didn't seem to improve as much as I was used and hoped.
Now, I'm just waiting for some RAM to arrive in the post as I know it
could use some more in any case (1 x 1G going to 2 x 2G) and then I'll
check and try tweaking the alignment on that also.

Cheers, T i m