Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_5_] Norman Wells[_5_] is offline

Default The bells at York

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 19/10/2016 22:39, Norman Wells wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
"Norman Wells" wrote in message

Chimes have been stopped quite frequently. If chimes can be stopped,
it's inevitable that ringing, which is much louder and more
objectionable, will be stopped too in various places if we just bide our
time. All it will take is one hero willing to stand up to the bullying
and oppressive behaviour of the ringers to set a precedent, and that
will open the floodgates.

Church clock chimes have been voluntarily stopped between the hours of 23:00 and
06:00 in a number of places after requests supported by many parishioners of long
standing, as due to the growth in home ownership of clocks readable in the dark,
these chimes were deemed unnecessary, in the same way as there are now very few
town cryers.

Now there's a dangerous precedent for bell ringers if ever I heard one. Why should
bell ringing ever be deemed 'necessary'? It serves no useful purpose.

If you know of a court case where cessation of use has been forced,please quote
details of court, date and participants' names, otherwise we will know that it
didn't happen.

Bell ringers can't afford to be complacent or arrogant about this. They
only have to annoy one person enough and it will happen.

I take it you are planning to be the one person. I hope you get landed with all
the costs when you lose.

I wouldn't lose. The noise from bell ringing is a Statutory Nuisance, you see.