Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 19/10/16 22:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/10/16 10:12, John Rumm wrote:
Perhaps you should offer your wisdom to the drive makers, because they
all seem to have fallen for it...

Here is the alignment tool from WD:

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=128&lang=en

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

The same tool is used for both. They both suffer the same performance
issues with misaligned partitions. (SSDs just enjoy additional problems)

You will note that Intel also link to a "Intel SSD version" of Acronis.
Hyper X (Kingston) also supply a licence for it as well.

Here is the HGST document on the use of their tool:

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/f...User_Guide.pdf

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

See above.

Here is the documentation for Seagate's tool / hack:

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whit...nology_faq.pdf

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

Do you actually bothre to read what you link to?

Yes.

No one, me included, is
saying taht partition misalignment is not an issue on spinning rust drives,

Partition misalignment is a problem on *any* AF drive.

I give up.

Come back when you actually understand how an SSD works.

which have far simpler mapping algorithms since wear levelling is not a
particular problem.

My poimt was solely about SSDs.

Oh and for your information I dont think Linux partioning tools will
allow you to actually specify a granularity less than 4k. so its simply
not possible with the usual tools to misalign a linux partition anyway.

I think you will find that I said that some time ago... Everything has
been 4K aligned since the dawn of Vista, and whatever kernel release of
Linux was current about that time.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft