Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 23:47:55 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:35:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:03:27 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 09:54:16 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.

Agreed. I guess his day to day use is opening one word processor and
using it for hours.

Nope, just only rebooting ever few months and not closing apps.

A very odd way to use a computer.

The only sensible way to use a computer used most of most days.

If I'm not going to use a program (note: not "app", that's a mobile phone
word)

Wrong, as always.

for a while, I see no point in leaving it open.

Yes, you are that stupid.

The point is that it is vastly quicker to switch to an already
open app when you need to than it is to start it again.

Actually that's bull****. If you have plenty memory, the program code stays in the disk cache when you close it. If you don't have enough memory, keeping it open just uses swapfile.

--
WEDDING DRESS FOR SALE.
Worn once by mistake.