Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sid S. Sid S. is offline

Default What is in automatic vent openers used in greenhouses

replying to Ecnerwal, Sid S. wrote:
Jojoba oil (a plant product) is not actually an oil, it is a low melting point
wax that melts at appx. 44-54℉. Paraffin Gulf Wax melts, depending on
exact mix, around 99-120℉. Beeswax melts even higher. If one was to mix
in the right amount, around 50/50 more or less, one of the latter two
mentioned waxes with Jojoba oil(wax) you may hit the sweet spot you want where
the expansion/phase shift occurs at your desired temperature range. I have
heard people in the greenhouse industry sheepishly allude to the use of both
beeswax & natural plant oils/waxes inside their greenhouse vent products. Some
say an oil, some say a wax. The fact that the actual ingredients are skirted
around when mentioned leads me to believe the process is not patentable nor
hard. Jojoba plant wax in the beeswax or paraffin may be the "ingredient that
Shan‘t be named". IDK, would have to try. Maybe even Vaseline would work
in the mix.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-593133-.htm