Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default The bells at York

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:48:55 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

Thanks, Bill, for crossposting this and introducing yet more nutcases to
uk.d-i-y. We have more than enough of our own.

However the work involved in maintaining bells and fittings including
where appropriate, sound proofing, is all good stuff for the diy-er.

There are heating issues, worn steps, lighting, ropes of various
types, arguments about the right grease to use on old bearings, what
is the best material for clapper bushes, how to keep the pigeons out,
how best to get the bells (up to 4 ton) into and out, ceiling bosses
for ropes, rope guides or not and where best positioned, catenary
action on ropes if the pulleys are in the wrong place, etc etc.

You want to show of some skills, get up a bell ringing tower
(providing you are squeaky clean of course).

--
AnthonyL