Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 19/10/16 10:12, John Rumm wrote:
Perhaps you should offer your wisdom to the drive makers, because they
all seem to have fallen for it...

Here is the alignment tool from WD:

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=128&lang=en

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

Here is the HGST document on the use of their tool:

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/f...User_Guide.pdf

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

Here is the documentation for Seagate's tool / hack:

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whit...nology_faq.pdf

Nothing to do with SSDs, refers to spinning rust drives.

Do you actually bothre to read what you link to? No one, me included, is
saying taht partition misalignment is an issue on spinning rust drives,
which have far simpler mapping algorithms since wear levelling is not a
particular problem.

My poimt was solely about SSDs.

Oh and for your information I dont think Linux partioning tools will
allow you to actually specify a granularity less than 4k. so its simply
not possible with the usual tools to misalign a linux partition anyway.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler