Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Garage Door Opener-Capacitor gone bad?

On Saturday, February 5, 2005 at 10:34:50 AM UTC-6, toller wrote:
About a month ago my Liftmaster 1265 stopped running. It would just hum for
about 2 seconds and stop. Liftmaster said the limit switch has been
overrun, so I played with that. When I move the limit back, the opener
hummed for 2 seconds, paused, and then hummed for 2 seconds with a slightly
different pitch.

Someone here said the problem was probably a leaking capacitor. I took the
cover off, but the capacitor looked fine. But when I touched the capacitor
the opener suddenly started running. It was okay for 2 days, then stopped
again. I touched the capacitor again and it ran okay for 5 minutes, then
stopped. Now touching does not help.

I figured there was loose wire, but I sure can't find one. Liftmaster says
it is probably a bad capacitor for $20; and if not that, a bad logic board
for $85.

Does a bad capacitor make sense? Could touching a bad capacitor make it run
for a while? Obviously they won't be taking the capacitor back if it
doesn't help.

This is so so frustrating.

IF he doesn't have it working after 11 years, it isn't worthwhile replying to him