Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, 8N will not start

On 17 Oct 2016 15:03:01 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:21:52 AM UTC-4, stryped wrote:

writes:

I am just so frustrated and not sure what to do at this point.

I don't know what an "8N" is but whatever it is, sometimes you never
know.

8n is an old Ford tractor produced fron 1939 to 1952.
In the late 60s, we once had a 25HP VW Beetle in the shop. It would
start but ran very poorly, rough and no power. Borderline but uniform
compression. All the usual stuff gave no improvement. The owner
agreed to a rebuild. It was someting of a project to get all the
parts for a (then already) old model.

Because we had been stumped, we went overboard with scrutiny. Every
part was checked against original VW specs. No ring, valve, bearing,
cam, gear, piston, sleeve or anything was out of spec. No signs of
damage or excessive wear in places for which there were no specs such
as seals and gaskets.

Put it all together and it ran like a top. We never knew what we had
fixed.

Not at all an expert, but backfiring and not running may be a timing
thing.

Cam wear or timing? Valves not opening right would allow OK
compression but inhibit fire.

You could try asking here.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi