Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/10/2016 18:00, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/10/2016 13:37, Clive George wrote:
On 15/10/2016 15:03, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:51:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 15/10/16 10:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
snip

Faster booting, faster program load and, if memory is short faster
access to swap if that's on the SSD (although if you want to wear
out an
SSD, using it for swap is one of the best ways).
snip

Just pondering on SSDs and Swap.

If you have a system with just an SSD then what do you use as swap?

Assuming that you don't (as in most laptops and older desktops) have
the
space for masses of memory?

"Most laptops"? 8G and 16G on the laptops in use here :-)

For some years now I've made sure no system I have anything to do with
is running into swap.

I disable the swap and never run out of ram for what I do and I only
use 8GB of ram.

And you stupidly close apps when you stop using them for a bit,
and that is why you see a better result with an SSD. If you werent
that stupid, you wouldnt see any better result with an SSD if you have
enough of a clue to not turn the system off when you arent using it.

It's left on all day. Only gets switched off at bedtime,

And doing that is stupid.

Why would I leave it turned on all night when it's not being used.

Because it starts instantly next day, stupid.