Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default How to deal with police at a DUI checkpoint

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 17:57:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My point was my question. You said "Note that the driver was armed under
Nevada law." I asked (more or less) "What does that have to do with the
situation?"

I'm just curious as to why you wanted us to note that the driver was armed.

Maybe I can clarify a little more. This was a Nevada Highway Patrol
checkpoint in 2013. It took place in North Las Vegas (jurisdiction).
Had this stop been by NLVPD, things would or could have turned out
much different.

NLV has a city ordinance against a concealed handgun which was grand
fathered in when state laws changed later. The law is contrary to the
county law, requiring a concealed carry permit or just a "blue card"
permit for open carry for a "specific" handgun. The blue card had to
be updated for each type of hand gun carried. The county has
abolished the blue card, now.

NLVPD could have detained him longer to check his permits, check for
"wants and warrants", felonies, etc.

A side note. If a person is arrested in NLV, the city law will be
challenged in court and likely they will have to repeal the city
ordinance. IOW's some gun advocates are waiting to challenge the law,
but it appears now that NLVPD is not enforcing the law against
concealed carry.

My point was the guy is lucky this was NHP and not NLVPD.

Clear as mud :-)