View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default OT, 8N will not start

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:21:52 AM UTC-4, stryped wrote:
I have been working on this thing off and on for over a year and the thing is still not running. I started into it last year hoping to be able to use it as a plow for my driveway. I still can not start it. To make it what I thought would be more reliable, I replaced the following: gas tank, spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor (I broke the tang on my old one), coil, points, fuel bowel, etc. I checked the timing twice.

I rebuilt the carb and installed it this weekend. It started for a minute holding the choke in but then backfired and died and could not restart. (The few times I have gotten it to run in the last year it would run for a minute then backfire violently and not be able to restart). I bought a new carb from TSC as a last ditch effort yesterday. Still no start. Using an old spark plug yesterday grounded to the engine it does fire. If I crank on it long enough it acts like it fires for a split second because the starter disengages but never takes off. I can feel suction on the throat of the carb when cranking, however, I am not so sure the spark plugs are getting gas. It will not start when spraying starting fluid in the throat of the carb. I don't think spraying starting fluid in one of the spark plug holes and reinstalling the spark plug made a difference either.

As a last ditch effort, I checked compression with the throttle control wide open and no choke. Of course the engine was cold as I can not get it started. The following were the results I obtained:
1= 85psi
2= almost 90 psi
3= almost 90 psi
4= almost 80 psi

I then added 5w30 (all I had) motor oil into the spark plug holes one at a time. I probably used too much as I poured from a quart container, the space was tight, and it was getting dark. The following readings were obtained after the addition of oil:
1= 120 psi
2= 130 psi
3= 105 psi
4= 95 psi

I did notice after doing the wet test, oil was coming out of the carb throat.

I replaced the intake exhaust gasket last year because it had a leak.

I am just so frustrated and not sure what to do at this point.

Not at all an expert, but backfiring and not running may be a timing thing.

You could try asking here.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi

George H.