Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 17/10/2016 15:12, Bod wrote:
"Afford the luxury"??

If your system is running into swap, it will be slower than it needs to
be. It's not so much affording the luxury, as affording the basics.

TNP might be happy running gridwatch on a cheese-pared setup, but memory
is really very cheap these days, so anybody doing this sort of thing for
a living will do it properly - which for most servers means running in
memory. (there are probably exceptions, I've just not hit them yet, but
I do have a fairly wide experience of servers...)

The price depends on what type of memory. 32GB of DDR4 2600 mhz for my
laptop is £171. I wouldn't call that cheap.

If you're doing this for a living and running something which needs 32GB
of memory, 171 quid is cheap. You're neither doing it for a living nor
do you need anything like that, so you think it's expensive.

You probably also think over 500 quid for a laptop is expensive :-)

(basic reasoning is pretty much that if you're doing it for a living,
other costs will dwarf it, and if you need it you'll either be making
rather more than that or saving enough time to make it worth it.)

Has TNP posted how much his gridwatch server has? For comparison, I
think the cheapest lowest spec Azure VM is 3.5GB, and that will all be
available as full speed memory if you use it.