Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/10/2016 09:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 17/10/2016 07:30, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 16/10/2016 02:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/10/2016 09:54, Bod wrote:
On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the
user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop
with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.

Yup same here... In fact I find the improvement in responsiveness and
application start times is more impressive than the reduced boot
time.

Indeed. Now that SSD prices have become more affordable, installing an
SSD for your system drive is probably the most cost effective method
of
speeding up any computer.

I'm not convinced when you only reboot every few months, never close
any app, have enough physical ram on a 64bit system so it never swaps
and have a decent high performance cpu like an i5 etc.

I *know* it makes a big difference.

But only when you are stupid enough to turn the system off when you
arent using it, close apps when you stop using them, or dont have
anything like enough physical memory for what you are doing.

My desktop pooter has an i7 CPU and only 8GB ram,

Nothing even remotely like enough.

but I don't use a swap file.

Then you must be stupidly closing apps when you arent using them.

When I installed an SSD it made a dramatic speed improvement to
everything.

Because you stupidly close apps when you arent
using them or are running a 32 bit OS or both.

My gaming laptop has the latest i7 with 8GB DDR4 ram

Nothing even remotely like enough.

and an M.2 SSD which is even faster than standard SSDs. Again, I don't
use a swap file.

Then you must be stupidly closing apps when you stop using them.

Unless you're doing intensive video editing etc, 8GB of ram is plenty.

Wrong when you have enough of a clue to never
close apps when you stop using them for a while.

I never run out of ram headroom to need a swap file.

But you are stupid enough to close apps
when you stop using them for a while.

I shut them when I've finished using them.

More fool you.

Now why would I want to keep something open that I am no longer using

Because it will always be quicker to switch to an already
open app than it will ever be to start it again.

and can reopen instantly when needed?

Because it can never be instantly.