Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Underlayment Ring Shank Nails

On Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 9:53:00 PM UTC-6, Red Green wrote:
Never used them before.

I'm prepping the floors in a 30+ year old house for carpet. A lot of the
existing nails have worked loose and it creaks a lot. I've done a couple
of rooms and it's good and tight.

It's been a PITA though and here's why.

When the carpet company came out to measure and size up hat had to be
done I told them I will be pulling up the carpet and pad temporarily to
refasten the flooring. Told them I would be using 8d coated sinkers to do
so. Guy says using ring shank nails would be better. OK, guy is a pro, I
asked for advice so I might as well take it.

So my plan is to renail with the coated 8d's near the the existing nails
(totally removing any that are loose or popped) and use ring shanks in
between which would half the spacing. Well those damn ring shanks ya
barely tap them and if it ain't perfectly square contact they bend. The
hammer is a new Estwing. They eyes, well they've got some wear & tear :-(

These RS nails are the underlayment type and thin if you ask me. Plus I'm
going through subfloor into joists.

Is this just a lack of experience using underlayment RS nails?

Only having a roofing and finishing nailers, I had called Harbor Freight
asking them if they had a nail gun that would shoot ring shank nails. I
get "Hold on. Let me get someone on who is familiar with nail guns". I
get 2nd person and ask same thing. Person hesitates and says "What
exactly is a ring shank nail? Is it like a clipped head or something?"
I'm like uhhh, nevermind, thanks.

I hope after 6 years the guy has his new flooring options settled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!