Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 16/10/16 12:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

No, what I am saying

.... is a load of irrelevant bull****. Stop wriggling. We're talking
about partition alignment as it applies to SSDs. You're moving the
goalposts (as usual).

Stop wriggling.

You really do not have a clue. Read up on flash memory erase block
sizes, then you will see why you're full of ****. You postill-informed
opinion, not facts, and expect people to take it as gospel.

You really do not have a clue.

Here's a link to get you started.

https://flashdba.com/2014/06/20/unde...cks-pages-and-
program-erases/

Yes, have you READ that?

Do you not realise that NONE of that is relevant to the operating
system, its all handled by the SSD processor and firmware, so it makes
NO DIFFERENCE to how you partition the disk.

Thats as stupid as saying that if you use a filename starting with 'a'
it will be stored 'at the front of the disk drive'.

As usual, you're right and firms like Intel and the major SSD
manufacturers are wrong.

Sigh. Have you actually READ that stuff?

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/u...te-drives/ssd-
partition-alignment-tech-brief.html

2014, Obsolete early Intel drives only and very Windows specific.

I repeat. modern drives have wear levelling algos that simply make
nonsense of that

You need to have a read of this too:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/24/how-it-works-the-com.html

* awaits swivel-eyed loony response *

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear. I realise to people with a little knowledge, someone
with a lot appears to have less than they do, but that is a mistake.

I spent several weeks researching SSDs before I installed one. The
consensus was that with modern drives, partition alignment was meaningless.

And the people who said that seemed to understand SSDS far far more than
those who regurgitated simplistic myths and results from early drives
with poor block mapping algorithms.

Which is why I saw fit to correct the misinformation you were spreading.

But there is no accounting for a big dick and a small brain.

Those capable of reading the links I have provided and understanding
what they say will form their own conclusions.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)