Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Some years ago I used the Linux dd utility to migrate a hard drive to an
SSD. The first partition started at sector 63 (i.e. non-aligned). Some
time later I used GParted to re-align to sector 1024; the increase in
performance was very noticeable.

ROFLMAO.

There is no relationship between 'sector' and any given bit of disk on
an SSD, indeed wear levelling means the relationship varies with time as
well.

The internal blocks of an SSD are larger than sectors and file system
clusters, this will make little difference for reads, but for writes it
can mean cluster-straddling where a single write causes re-writing two
blocks and subsequent erasing of them, that in turn will be increased by
the drive's write-amplification. So yes, alignment can make a
difference (as SAN owners learned somewhat earlier) and it will be more
noticeable on cheaper SSDs with fewer memory channels.