Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default Does Australia have similar cellphone "related" accident rates as the United States

In article , Ed
Pawlowski wrote:

you *must* have proof.

Agree

which doesn't exist. that's the point.

it's an *asusmption* that call records showing activity around the time
of the *assumed* time of collision is a factor.

it might be related, or it might not. nobody knows exactly what
happened except those involved in the collision and they're not going
to admit it's because of a phone or they're incapable of admitting
anything, i.e., dead.

If you left the house in a rage, driving is not boring. My only point
is, had you not used the phone and got into (or continued) the argument
you'd have a different frame of mind.

driving is very boring. people sometimes fall asleep while driving.

Seriously, if you just had an argument with your wife would you fall
asleep from boredom? Yes, there are times you could, but that is not
one of them.

that doesn't make driving any less boring. there's really not a lot to
do, which is why ****ty drivers manage to avoid crashing all the time.

Another false argument is talking on the phone is no different than
talking to a person in the car. It is. Also depends on the
conversation. To give a quick call "I'm on my way home" takes away less
brain power that to try and give technical instructions on how to
install a piece of equipment.

it's not false at all.

talking to someone sitting next to you is exactly the same as talking
to someone through a phone. in both cases, your mind is focused on the
conversation more than it is the traffic.

No, its not and has been proven.

actually, it hasn't been proven.

When talking to the person next to you it is easy to stop talking if
traffic suddenly needs your attention but not as easy on the phone.
Human nature of how we work.

same with a phone call.

simply say "can't talk" and toss the phone on the seat.

That would be good, but it is not what happens.

that's the fault of the driver. stupid drivers will always exist.

autonomous vehicles can't happen fast enough.

Every situation of both traffic and call are
different. Most of us have seen distracted driving from phone use.
Like the driver in the left lane going 10 under the speed limit with
phone in hand.

who is to say he woudn't have done that without a phone?

stupid drivers have existed since long before there ever were
cellphones.

Actual experience. It is very rare under normal conditions, but more
often I see drivers on the phone not paying attention to tieir
surroundings.

that's only because cellphones are visible, plus you can't tell if
they're using a speakerphone.

people do all sorts of things while driving, such as:

what about the person driving with an unfolded paper map, or reading
the newspaper, or eating breakfast and drinking coffee?

i see people eating/drinking food very frequently.

they even made pads of paper to stick on the windshield so you could
*take notes* while driving.

They exist too, but less than the phone idiots. In the past month, from
personal experience, I saw three on the phone, one reading what may have
been a map. None are acceptable.

that's the point. none are acceptable, but people only focus on phones
being a factor.