Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Does Australia have similar cellphone "related" accident rates asthe United States

Algeria Horan wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:53:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Seriously, if you just had an argument with your wife would you fall
asleep from boredom? Yes, there are times you could, but that is not
one of them.

BTW, one of the NHTSA statistical papers on distractions listed "fatigue" as
a major factor in accidents, far more so than just talking to someone.

So we have to put things into perspective, bearing in mind that the
"industry" likes to blow things out of proportion, to intensify their
effects for news-worthy reasons.

For example, look at this use of "high octane" where the sole purpose is to
artificially *intensify* the scare-value of the word "gasoline"...

EXAMPLE 1:
http://www.wartimepress.com/archive-...&q=125&FID=748
"six million gallons of high octane gasoline provided fuel for the raging
inferno."

Huh? When I parse that sentence, I immediately realize that six million
gallons of _not_ high octane gasoline would have provided just as much fuel
(in fact, exactly the same amount of BTUs) for the raging inferno!

EXAMPLE 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covina_massacre
http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pardo-bruce.htm
"police had recovered ... a container for high-octane fuel tank gasoline."

Huh? What's that? Do such containers even exist?

Specifically, how would a "high-octane" fuel tank differ from a
not high-octane fuel tank? The fire either fuel could cause would be
absolutely indistinguishable in all ways.

EXAMPLE 3:
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/16/ny...-as-arson.html
The District Attorney likened the volatility of the accelerant to that of
''a high-octane'' gasoline.

I guess that argument works on OJ Juries, but, the volatility of a
high-octane gasoline is EXACTLY the same as that of a not
high-octane gasoline.

In all these examples, the news (or the DA) attempts to "intensify" the
scare power of "gasoline"; so my warning here is to be on the lookout for
similar intensification efforts when it comes to McCarthyism, Salem Witch
Trials, and cellphone related distractions.

And every firearm is "high powered" Or Assault rifle when it is not.