Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Blood pressure

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 15 Oct 2016 14:49:37 -0500, philo
wrote:

On 10/14/2016 08:23 PM, micky wrote:

yes. A bit younger than you, and I don't think I was 40 points too high.
Take two pills per day (I opted for two separate pills as they are
cheaper than if I had to buy the two different meds combined in a single
pill - the doc was impressed with my figuring this out).

Results are fine. I don't bother to check my blood pressure, but it is
good when I go to the doc (rarely) or give blood, etc.

I don't worry about sodium. That has been way overhyped, although some
people (far less than all) have a sodium intolerance.

I agree. there must be truth to it for some people, but I eat a whole
box of salt every year just from what I add on my own, not counting
what's in the food and my BP is normal all the time, even though I'm
fat, out of shape, and 69. It used to be 40 points low with the same
salt intake.

Also wrt losing weight. Yes, if you don't have salt in your system you
won't have as much water, but one salty meal and you're back where you
were. If you'd eaten salt all that time, it would be excreted and you'd
be no worse off. I think.

The doctor did prescribe a statin last winter, so I take that, and
vitamin D. (He says no one gets enough vitamin D otherwise, but he said
no need when I asked about multivitamins. He's 68 himself. I'll be
sorry to see him retire some day.)

This is the first time where I will now have to examine what I eat.

Even though I do not plan on obsessing too much...
as far as the salty foods (sodium) go...it's not like I was a little
over the recommended limit...I probably eat 5 times or more of the salt
and carbs that I should.

So far my wife and I made a pack that we will not skip our once daily
walks. I managed to cut way down on my salt intake and found if I need
to add seasoning a few shots of hot sauce will do the trick.

Now that I've been watching things all week I was happy to see that I
actually had a normal blood pressure when I woke up this morning. Even
though it goes up as the day progresses it's not as far out of range as
it was when I first became aware of this.

That's great.

And those walks are important. At least some daily exercise as little
as walking is important to get.

I rode a bike for the first time in years yesterday, but the
derailleurs wont' derail. Cables bad. I'm going to dig out my $10
bike that works and ride that.