Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

Default Failure mode of a small PM motor

"Michael A. Covington"
wrote in message ...
My students are having the following experience with small

permanent-magnet
DC motors:

After some kind of misfortune (overload? nobody knows), the motor

starts
drawing much more current than it should. For example, a damaged

motor will
draw 1 amp at 3 volts, while the undamaged one will draw only 200 mA

at that
voltage. (Normal voltage is much higher, about 10 V.) Both motors

turn
easily; the damaged one seems to run fine except for requiring

excessive
current; and both have a resistance of about 1.5 ohms measured with an
ohmmeter.

This has happened to several motors.

Are the permanent magnets getting demagnetized? How? Or what else

could be
going on? My electronics background is analog and digital but not

much
about motors!

Just my guess, but the brush material might be wearing off and gathering
on the commutators, shorting between them and causing excessive current.
The small motors are probably not made for continuious and extended
duty, and just wear out. I've taken out some of the tiny motors from
defunct CD-ROM drives and played with them. These were made to open the
drive door and eject the CD or similar, and get used for a few seconds
very intermittently. If you have something like these, then running
them continuously for even a relatively short time might be as much wear
as a CD-ROM drive gives them over years of service. Just my $.02 worth.
Stop by more often and gab a bit, will ya? I haven't heard from you in
quite a while. ;-)

Many thanks,

Michael A. Covington - Artificial Intelligence Ctr - University of

Georgia

"In the core C# language it is simply not possible to have an

uninitialized
variable, a 'dangling' pointer, or an expression that indexes an array
beyond its bounds. Whole categories of bugs that routinely plague C

and C++
programs are thus eliminated." - A. Hejlsberg, The C# Programming

Language