Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default using a jack hammer

An obnoxious contractor working for a neighbor left a ball of cement
almost 3 feet in diameter in the woods next to my house.

They were separate blobs, not yet totally set, but they're all stuck
together now, with a few small empty spaces where the blobs meet,
partially.

I'm going to borrow or rent an electric jack hammer to break it up into
pieces light enough for me to remove.

I've already tried a sledge hammer and a couple tiny chips came off but
the thing didn't crack.

Questions:
How do I do this? I can't hold the hammer sideways, and if the ball is
3 feet in diameter, I have to be standing 3 feet higher than the ground
to make the hammer vertical. Can I stand on a ladder without being
knocked off of it? That seems likely and the best plan, but I'm
interested in your opinions.

If the extension cord is too long or not heavy duty enough, is it
possible to damage the jack hammer or will it just not work well enough?
I don't want to damage it. OTOH, I don't anticipate using it for more
than 5 minutes at a time.

I thought about tying a rope to it and pulling it with my car, but the
closest the car can get is about 40 feet, and as the ball rolls it will
roll the rope off of it, every 2 or 3 feet or less. Is there a way to
stop this?

And, there's a small hill going uphill just 6 feet from the ball.
Every time the rope came off, the ball would roll back unless we were
putting a 4x4 or bigger behind the bal, moving it every 3 inchesl. And
would a 4"x4" be enough to stop a 3' ball?. I wish I could estimate the
grade of the hill but it's always less than it seems, right? It's easy
to climb but that's partly because it's only 6 feet horizontally. Well
I should go look again but I guess it rises 2 feet in 6 feet.

I don't want to find the owner of the land to get him to remove it. A)
The more he ignores this land the better I like it. What he'll likely
do instead is put up 1 or more ugly signs saying No Dumping, signs I
don't want and that won't work anyhow, B) Why should he remove it for
me? I'm not entitled to use someone else's land. C) How would he do
this? Just about anything he can do, I can do, if only I knew what the
proper thing to do is.