Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Handyman Put Cement On Top of Old Concrete (using sand) -Will It Hold?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:16:49 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

About how big is the "path"? I am guessing that if he mixed the Sakrete
concrete himself, it is not a very large area.

The chances of the top coat repair job holding up are probably slim to none.
It will surely crack and break off, probably even before next spring. And,
the idea of trying to stain it or match it for color isn't going to work.
Despite what the products say, and how they look in the sample color
brochures, any type of stain or even acid wash is just going to look bad or
worse than it already looks now.

I think the only solution at this point is to live with it for a while until
the top coat starts breaking off (which it will soon do), and then have the
original concrete "path" removed and have a new one poured and finished by
an experienced concrete company.

Sorry, to sound so negative about all of this, but I have been through this
a couple of times -- once on my own place and once when trying to help
another handyman friend who also is not much of a concrete person go back
and repair and stain a similar situation.

I agree 100% and I have done lots of concrete. The trick starts with a
good base, then well built forms that are pitched to drain the desired
way. Once the concrete sets, you are done. It is either right or you
chip it out and start over. That patch will spall off as soon as water
seeps into the joint and freezes.