Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Grauniad: Welsh tidal lagoon project could open way for ukp15bn revolution in UK energy

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:18:55 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , tim...
wrote:

The point is that should this trial prove the technology they build
complementary barriers elsewhere. Environmental concerns not
withstanding

Are ye mad?

Most of the population have lost sight of the primary objective, which
is to reduce and even eliminate CO2 production (assuming that that is
necessary, which most people think it is, rightly or wrongly). That
objective has been hijacked and transduced into one of using as much
renewable energy as possible, regardless of cost, convenience or
practicality.

I now await Dotty Tim's riposte, in which he will explain on precisely
what grounds there is justification to build this barrier.

I resent that post

See my sig.

Nothing in my PP supported the technology or suggested that I thought it
sensible.

Above, you say:

The point is that should this trial prove the technology they
build complementary barriers elsewhere.

Which looks like an endorsement to me.

what part of SHOULD do you not understand?

Surely by using the word I am implying that I don't know the answer.

If I suspected that it would be proven I would use the word WHEN

Merely that posters here have no place complaining about it being given
the same subsidy as Nukes, which they support. And that once it has that
subsidy, it is entirely for the investors to decide if it is viable.

All subsidies should be scrapped.

Ok

And what subsidy is HinckleyC
getting, anyway?

A guaranteed strike price.

AIUI, EDF and the Chinese are paying the entire cost
of construction.

As will (someone else) with the barrier,

Once built, we but the volts from them at an agreed
price.

As with the barrier

Where's the subsidy in that?

the possibility that when the electricity is produced it will be fed into
the grid at a higher price than the market price for alternatively generated
electricity, paid for by a surcharge on everybody's leccy bills.

You are the first person I have ever seen to claim that this isn't a
subsidy. Even the supporters accept that.

tim