Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deburring Delrin

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:34:02 -0700 (PDT), SteamboatEd Haas
wrote:

Hey gang I'm making some parts out of delrin; they've got fins on 'em and when they're cut to length the fuzz is everywhere! I'm thinking of using my brass tumbler with walnut shells unless someone's got a better idea. Here's a link to the problem: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steamb...7673545442262/

Walnut shells might work. If they don't then tumbling with abrasive
media and water will. I have deburred acetal plastics, both Delrin and
Acetron, in one of my vibratory tumblers. I used trianglar and
cylindrical abrasive shapes. The only problem is that the plastic will
get a matt finish. For your eventual use I don't think that will
really be a problem. Even walnut shells, if they can remove the burrs,
will give you a matt finish. You can tumble the parts after deburring
with polish but it takes a very long time, in my experience, to polish
acetal plastics in a vibratory tumbler. You might want to try an
abrasive filled nylon brush first to remove the majority of the burrs
first. I have had good luck doing this. It is easy to melt the plastic
if a light touch isn't used though. Even brass wire brushes tend to be
too aggressive.
Eric