Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha CDV-1600 LD player

Bruce Esquibel wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

It's probably a CDV-1600, not CVD.

Yeah, cdv, or whatever. I was sort of hoping the n cook guy would have the
data memorized on this all.

http://www.target.com/p/rubber-bands...p/-/A-16603894

Go find that, pick out a couple that comes close, make sure the rest of
the unit works, then waste time trying to find real belts.

The laser assembly is running with a doubled over skinny rubber band.
That's how I determined the unit works otherwise and deserves a proper
repair. The tray can be manually operated and the mechanism that ramps the
clamp assembly up and down is gear driven and works too.

Even with OEM part numbers in hand, you still aren't going to find them.

I never remember seeing belt sizes listed in the service manuals for any
player.

They'd have a number which at least back in the day could be cross
referenced to Russel or somebody else. Some chatter came up here or
another group where PRB bought Russel or something like that and they
claim to still be in business. I'm sort of curious to see how old the
belts they ship out are. Are they just dried up, melted or just staning
the yellow plastic back they come in? The whole belt measuring slide rule
tool -5% should be fine in the other tape decks.

So if the originals are that bad, get the Target universal belt kit, find
the ones that come the closest, make measurements while fresh then track
down a proper source. If they are just loading belts, you can probably leave
the rubberbands in and just replace them every few months.

It's a real bitch to get to the tray belt as most of it's obscured by the
front bezel. My spring tools won't even fit in there, will have to bendup
paperclips or something.

Don't laugh at that Target option, the dime sized ones in the collection
work great on those drawer model cd/dvd burners for computers. I got one in
my Pioneer burner from 2005 and it's been like 2 years now.

It'll be the best $1.87 you ever spent.

-bruce