Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Leaking toilet

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:12:36 -0500, philo wrote:

On 10/10/2016 03:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/10/2016 1:48 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 07:17:48 -0500, philo wrote:

I'd like to try to figure out how much water was actually used to cost
$1600.

How much water (by gallon) did you get, for your $175 bill?

We pay about .04 per gallon. $1600 is about 40,000 gallons

Here they bill by the cubic foot. there are various additional charges
such as sewage

BTW: Some may not know that the root word for the word "plumber" comes
from the Latin "plumbum"

The chemical symbol for lead is Pb

That's a bizarre way to measure water. I wonder how many gallons a cubic
foot of water is?

Yea, I know a lot or most cities charge a sewer fee. I know a guy who
lived in a city, had a well, and he was a gardner. Most of his yard was
a garden. They got city water and FORCED everyone to switch to the city
water, and to fill their well with concrete (or they would be fined
every year). As soon as all the wells were gone, the city added a large
sewer use fee to the water bills. Even though none of the water this guy
used in his garden was going down the sewer, he had to pay the sewer
fee. The following Spring, he tore out his garden, and planted grass
seed. He was old, and he died a few years later. His wife said that once
the garden was gone, he lost his will for life.

Yea, I know about the word "plumber" and it's origin.
Those guys really had to work hard, and were very skilled too. When I
was young, I got to see a plumber connect some lead pipes. The process
involved melting lead into a ball around the joints of the pipes, and it
was all done by hand. It really took skill to do it.
Today, almost anyone can screw iron pipes together, glue PVC, or crimp
PEX. Even sweating copper pipe is simple compared to working with that
old lead pipe.