Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Leaking toilet

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:23:35 -0500, philo wrote:

Hopefully the owner will kick the tenant out, not refund the security
deposit and make the tenant is responsible for all utilities.

Yes. Milwaukee still has lead pipes.

After the situation in Flint...the city rapidly started replacing lead
"mains" but still there are thousands of "main to house" lead pipes.

Since I have lead pipes here I had the water tested 35 years ago when I
moved in. First they had me use no water at all for 12 hours. Once they
had a sample they had me "run 'til cold" and test again.

They found a small trace of lead in the standing water but none in the
"run to cold" test.

Since for my job I worked with lead-acid batteries the company had my
blood tested twice a year. The lead content was essentially zero.

As a precaution though I have a filter on the kitchen sink.

I am no fanatic when it comes to a lot of these things that are said to
be dangerous, but I think I'd get those lead pipes replaced. At the same
time, I know it can be costly if they have to dig up from the house to
the water main, and replace the pipes.

By the way, does anyone know what kind of pipe they use these days to go
from the water main to a house? Back in the 60's I know they were using
copper, but that could be real costly these days. I assume they are
using some sort of poly (plastic) these days.

I'm curious, what year was your house built to have lead pipes? I know
they have not used lead pipes for a real long time.