Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Leaking toilet

On 10/9/2016 8:17 AM, philo wrote:
I know a couple who recently got a $1600 water bill for one of the
properties they own. Here in Milwaukee the water is cheap enough that
land lords often just include it in the rent.

Due to sewage and lead pipe replacement charges it's gone from maybe $25
a month (many years ago) to $60 and is billed quarterly. My last bill
was $175.

When one of the owners investigated it seemed the tenant had a leaking
toilet and never bother to inform the land lord! Still the $1600 bill
seemed very high. I guess the toilet was running pretty fast but ...wow.

Hopefully they kicked the tenant out and and did not refund the security
deposit...but is there any recourse for them?

My guess is "no" but had the utility billed once a month like all
companies do...the problem would have been caught a lot sooner.

Had a similar situation at work. Twice. We have about 22 toilets around
the plant and one was running. I found it out by monthly meter
readings. It was in a little used bathroom and not making any noise.

My guess is the landlord is SOL.