Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kinda OT ... motor speed control

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ntdcee$nme
:

It's in my vocabulary, but for signalling rather than motors. What
have you seen for problems?

Mostly, it's just been poor power development at the motor, with more-
than-normal heating (I suppose due to 'ringing'). And of course, it can
be managed with correct termination.

To be clear, I only ever tried that experimentally, just to see what were
the results. It's FAR too easy to make an optimized mill with a
constant-speed motor that spins the jar at the correct speed, and not
have to vary the motor speed.

Until they've done the math, most people can't or won't grasp that
changing jar sizes on a roller-driven ball mill automatically adjusts the
speed to approximately correct, without having to change motor speed or
reduction ratios.

Plus, in my business, one tends to avoid electronics around explosives
when possible, due to the enclosures, the pressurization, and the
ventilation needs that have to be managed for that class environment.

That said, my recent job at an Army arsenal was a completely-computerized
automatic manufacturing line -- so it can be done, if price is not a
constraint.

Lloyd