Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kinda OT ... motor speed control

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 10:29:17 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Larger drum pulley and smaller motor pulley (sprockets?) would be the
cheapest for you. You can make 'em if you don't already have 'em.
Gear it down with stepped pulleys if you need some speed variability.
A plain ol' serpentine belt may work on a small motor pulley and
around the bare drum, too, but you may get perhaps months instead of
years of life out of it that way, depending on usage. I've seen a
makeshift concrete mixer and several rock tumblers done this way over
the years. My old wood lathe has a 1/4hp motor hung on a loose bolt
with its own weight keeping the belt tight, but it has 3-step pulleys.

I guess a description of this power unit is needed ... There is a pair of
rods with rollers , motor below . The rods are driven by a chain and
sprocket arrangement at one end of the unit . In use the drum is cradled on
the rollers and driven by them .

I had envisioned a 45-degree drum, for some reason. No big.

BUT, like most of us here, you're a _maker_. You fab up what you
don't have or don't want to buy.

Here's an ebay listing for one that is similar in function - just put a
chain drive under a cover on one end instead of the belts .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Paci...-/262525104831

That's easily modified. To add a larger top pulley, remount the motor
lower, on a new plate if necessary.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.