Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Torque on Natural Gas Piping, 1-inch OD?

On 10/8/2016 3:55 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 1:39:54 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Do you have room for the old double hammer trick? Hold a larger
hammer against the el. Hit the el a few times with a smaller one.
Do it from different sides/angles if possible.

Dean, do you mean to help free the pipe from the El? Good suggestion. I think I can rig up a way to apply some blows.

Ed, thank you for the further suggestions.

Dpb, good idea about the union. I am on it.

Anyone seeing my post (now deleted) about trying to replace the pipe with the gas on, just call me stupid. I think I will study up, turn off the gas myself at the meter, do my work, and then try to get the gas back on. This site does not even talk about an air purge when going to turn the gas back on:
http://www.wikihow.com/Cap-a-Gas-Line . But other sites talk about having to relieve a regulator or similar of air when turning the gas back on. Comments on the point are welcome. It's warm enough here that I am not worried about being without the furnace and water heater for a couple of days. I take my showers at the pool, mostly, besides and use little hot water.

Depends where you break the line. Regulator should not be affected.
Only air is where you opened the line. Water heater should purge itself
when you put it back on line to start.