Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30653 Ignoramus30653 is offline

Default Removing lock on a locked-open safe

On 2016-10-07, wrote:
Igor,

You are missing a great opportunity. Us locksmiths are often in
need of a talented machinist or welder. Contact some of your local
guys and offer a trade of services. Not only will they be able to
give you a working combination, but they can also do a proper
service and inspection to make sure the safe will not fail after you
lock your stuff inside.

Roger, thanks. A little update on the safes.

I was able to open one of the two locked-closed safes by cutting a
hole in a side close to the lock, unscrewing the lock cover and
removing the lock mechanism.

Inside, I found a bunch of meaningless profit sharing meeting minutes,
other papers, two old certificates of deposit for $132,000 and
$140,000, and $11.02 in cash.

I cut a similar hole in the side of another safe, however I was less
lucky in opening it, as the safe had double doors and I had inside
access only to the inner door.

However, I was able to reach inside with my hand and look and feel the
drawers. I became convinced that the safe is completely empty inside.

I gave away both of these safes to craigslist scrappers.

Cracking them open was fun, but not profitable (as expected).

At least I did not have to pay for their disposal.