Andrew McKay

Default automatic garage door openers.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:12:23 +0100, Andrew McKay
wrote:

Thanks to all the positive comments on this thread I've just ordered
the door opener + canopy accessory from Screwfix.

Arrived yesterday and I spent a grand day installing it. For anyone
who might be interested here's my experience.

About 6 hours effort all told. Some of that was because I had to make
special provisions for the rail mounting - I've got an RSJ running
over the door and although that's nice and solid as a potential
mounting point I was slightly less sure of its ability to remain in
place over the longer term - it's literally just gravitationally held
in place, obviously with the weight of the roof bearing down on it
(but I didn't want the RSJ "walking" over a period of years as the
door opener pulled and pushed).

Solved that problem by using a couple of heavy duty angle brackets to
hold a short wooden beam, screwed into the rafters just above.

At the other end I had another problem holding up the motor end of the
rail. Had to fashion another improvisation there.

Then had some fun and games with the canopy arm accessory, mounted to
the door. But fairly straightforward all the same.

Door wouldn't initially open the full way. Got around that by
judicious adjustment of the pots on the drive unit.

Finally, that canopy arm sticks out rather a long way as the door is
rising and lowering - it's going to clobber the back end of my
Freelander if I continue to park where I have got used to. Solved by
taking the car forward another foot.

Overall I'm very pleased. The one significant downside for me is that
the installation kit does not come with key fobs - you instead get a
couple of wallet-sized buttons which are hardly convenient for
carrying with the car keys. Looks like I'll be placing an order for a
key fob from these people:

http://www.easygates.co.uk/remotes.asp

Unless someone can suggest an alternative.....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk