Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Solar energy generated in the UK.overtook coal last Summer.

On 06/10/16 19:05, tim... wrote:

On 06/10/16 12:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , tim...
wrote:

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 17:24:30 UTC+1, harry wrote:

In Germany when there is a surplus of power, they pay you to use (or
store) it.
You can then export power into the grid from the batteries later and
get paid.
Thus you get paid twice.
Once for importing, and once for exporting.
Now that should encourage people to install batteries thus solving
the intermittancy problem!

It hasn't a hope of solving that problem, or even making a noticeable
difference. A little basic maths will show you how unrealistic such
an idea is.

harry has never shown any ability to do sums.

Except that it isn't mathematically unrealistic.

There is enough power in the sun for each person to collect enough
power to satisfy their own personal needs (including charging up their
electric car) if we have a means to store it across the "dark" periods
of the day/year.

But we don't, except in trivial amounts.

Ditto for the majority of companies who don't use electricity as a
"raw material" in their production.

The fact that the storage costs aren't economic, doesn't make it
mathematically impossible.

The storage costs are worse than uneconomic.

Indeed. They are in many cases ****ing impossible or downright lethal.

The amount of electrical energy needing to be stored for three winter
months is around 72TWh

72Twh is around 62 megatons of energy. Slightly larger than the
biggest hydrogen bomb ever detonated*.

Do you really want to be anywhere near a fast delivery store of that
capacity?

it won't all be in the same place, will it?

it will be one 20 millionth of that in every household

No, it wont be. Since domestic electricity isn't even half...

However 1/20millionth of 62 megatons is still 3 tons of TNT equivalent.
Want that in your house sucker? THts an earthquake bomb in its own right.

I bet in all your dreamy ponderings on energy storage the actual danger
represented by large energy stores never entered what passes for your
consciousness, did it?

And what's with this "fast delivery store" We aren't using it to start
an aero engine, just light a few lamp bulbs

I see your ignorance of the relationship between internal impedance and
efficiency is larger than I thought.

tim