Richard Steinfeld

Default Yamaha R-8 Receiver (Attn: Leonard Caillouet et al)

Hi.

I'm reposting a query from 3/21 that got lost in a thread
regarding a Yamaha cassette deck. My question involved my R-8
receiver (but there followed a string of exchanges between
Leonard and Mark Zacharias regarding a couple of matters
involving Yamaha warranty handling -- I never got a reply).
Please, again...

My R-8 receiver has lost its memory. I'm trying to determine
whether to have the memory cap/battery replaced, use it as a
power amplifier only with a separate control preamp, or what?
When you say, "low point," what do you mean? Is it construction,
parts, sound? I've not been able to come up with much information
about this product so I'd appreciate knowing more.

My training is as a musician; I've been a musical instrument
service technician and worked in audio, so my desire in
reproduction is for 20-20 accuracy without going off the deep
audiophile end. I ran a custom stereo business a while back
centered on in-home whole-system turnkey
problem-solving-improvement. This included repairs and custom
modifications.

I bought the receiver from my late circuit technician, Paul
Margen, of Berkeley, California. Paul passed away a few months
ago. He was a person of high ideals and generosity: he will be
missed by many.

Richard

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
| Yamaha, like everyone else makes some equipment that is less
| than impressive. The R-8 was one of the low points in their
| receiver line. The current receiver products are mostly
| top-grade, relatively speaking. The current cassette decks
| are typical of most of the newer decks and are very poorly
| constructed.

Thanks for your input, Leonard.