Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default "Dual" brand Car Stereo (any good)?

pretended :
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 08:58:31 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 19:33:26 -0400,
wrote:

They do not make turntables of any kind.

Im sure there is no huge demand for turntables these days.

You might be surprised . Vinyl , tube amps , there are a lot of
audiophiles out there that prefer the sound of the "old stuff" over the
somewhat sterile sound of a computer rendering of a digital file .

Actually, I still have vinyl records and a turntable. I had the records,
but nothing to play them on. I bought the turntable at Goodwill, some
years ago. The turntable is old, and it needed a new drive belt, and I
was able to find one online. Finding cartridges and/or stylus (needles)
is getting harder.

I do agree that they sound "warmer" than digital. It's hard to explain
how they differ, but I can notice it.

Tube amps are still popular for guitar amplifiers. Guitarists claim they
sound better. I keep watching the shelves of second hand stores for tube
amplifiers and stereos. Back in the 1960's/70's, I had a pair of
matching mono tube amps, which were designed for old jukeboxes. Each amp
had four 6L6 tubes as outputs, and they were real loud and powerful. I
wish I had kept them. I used to like to watch the purple glow in those
output tubes move around when I cranked them up. The preamp tubes in
those amps were known to "ring" when the sound was loud, (which was due
to the vibration of the sound effecting the tubes themselves), and was
often bordering on feedback. Some people found that distasteful, but I
think it made the music sound more "live".

The term was 'microphonic' when tubes did that. Some amps came with
accoustic feedback springs to mimic that 'reverb' sound. Some solid
state amps which did a fair job of sounding like tubes (rounded off
clipping waveforms, and even/odd harmonic composition) were the FET
output models. Still, they could only approximate the sound of tube
amps. Macintosh made some good hybrid amps too, I don't even know if
they are still in business.