Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:42:34 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yes, I do think you would, if you didn't know it was a second rate
battery. That happens all the time, when a manufacturer outsources
their production to the lowest bidder, changes supplier, or simply
cheapens the product. I can supply examples if you need them. I have
no idea what company manufacturers Kirkland batteries, or even if it's
only one company.

Now, here is where you go off the rails. When one purchases a 'house brand' to save a few pennies towards a critical application, the consequences of such a choice are to be factored into it. "I have no idea what company..." means that you accept without qualification or complaint that these devices may be second tier.

And that is exactly my point. Batteries, whether in use or not are wearing parts - just like tires. In an urban setting or areas where there are elevated levels of ozone, tires 'age out" in anywhere between 3 and 6 years depending on the type and composition. Those who do not keep this in mind are taking their lives in their hands.

Battery manufacturers make their batteries *JUST* good enough to support their price-point, and no more. Those that do not support an infrastructure that provides warranties and replacements are at a significant advantage. And, like lemmings, the great unwashed gobble them up based on price, alone. Then have the temerity to whine and pule about the results.

Two things - one philosophical, one very practical: If that first package of underwear at $3.29 from China stayed on the shelf for the $3.69 package made in the US, life would be different in this country today. But, no, the great unwashed gobbled them up, saving that $0.40. Little did they realize or care that their neighbors lost their jobs thereby *UNTIL* their own jobs were threatened - and you could hear them howl three states away. Do you want to give up a small, but vital technology to the Chinese? Do you want it such that your flashlight/radio/game depends on a 12,000 mile supply line crossing (at least) one ocean?

Lastly, do you know that there is not one single LCD device manufactured in the US. Not one. That Boeing aircraft would have analog controls were it to depend on US sources. Or, that fighter jet, gauges in a nuclear submarine.. The US does not even have the tooling or basic infrastructure to make LCD devices were the need to arise. It would probably take 2-3 years to ramp up. So, yes, we can entirely lose vital industries by neglect, ignorance or by simply not recognizing the implications.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA