Jason D.

Default ~28" RCA TV - no picture, sound works

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:56:25 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Ive got the coil off right now -- it's just the "hot glue" that they used to
fix it down that needs to be removed/cleaned? It's not actually that pink
glue they use to hold the coil in, right?

Also, silly question, how do you identify the LOPT? I see multiple
transformers, the one closest to the coil is the horiz, I assume .. not sure
which the lopt is though..

Line output transformer, "old timer name", the RCA name for it is
IHVT (intergrated high voltage transformer) but we call those as
FLYBACK transformer. This is round thing with ferrite core on the
outside with one leg going into it with screen & focus (some models
don't have the adjustments on it like in projectors) with three wires
from it (high voltage to the suction cup on the tube), two goes to the
CRT board.

Reason it is called flyback transformer in part of horizontal scan,
right after horizontal transistor turnoff, transformer's magnetic
field collapses generating back emf voltage that cause beam (beam spot
at right side) to fly back to left side. During flyback also
generates back-emf charges up all caps and diode, coils network
modulates and smoothes the motion of beam from left to appox mid way
as this network discharges & oscillates. This is the point where
horizontal transistor turns on just before that. It's very heavy in
energy and any problems anywhere, the horizontal transistor blows.
This is why this glue is one of many possible horizontal problems but
this CTC203 is common with this glue.

Pink glue? This would be the two small red hard lumps that secures
coil winding to the ferrite rod, that is not the problem. The hot
glue is pale off white (almost feels like wax) thing that held coil to
the board. Clean those hot glue *completely* and unplug one tiny hole
for one of wires for that coil.

Cheers,

Wizard

Thanks agian,

Dave

"RonKZ650" wrote in message
Remove L14401 in the base circuit of the horiz output. Clean all glue off
leads and solder pads, reinsert the coil and resolder it to the pads.

Also
check soldering aroung LOPT.

Yes, this should fix it. Very common on these "28 inchers" ;-)
Ron