Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
james g. keegan jr.[_2_] james g. keegan jr.[_2_] is offline

Default One-handed pullups

On 8/1/2015 2:03 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:16:09 -0700 (PDT), Grokman Grokman
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 2:13:18 PM UTC-4, Harold McKinney wrote:
"Though I tried a fast rep of 25 pull ups [chortle] and started getting
some chest pressure at 20 [chortle], yesterday. I cant do more than
about 5 one handed pull ups anymore..sigh..old age is creeping up."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/rOC-Y63ENh8J

A scant three years later:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22097241260450

gummer has never done even a single one-handed pullup, of course.
gummer has never been able to do 25 pullups. At age 53, 210 lb, gummer
couldn't do *one* two-handed pullup.

Awwww, Gummer, Moi is proly yer biggest fan here. Only fan?? LOL
But goddamm, 1-handed pullups?? Those are hard to find even on youtube! You need gymnastic level strength/wt ratios to pull these off. The guys that can do these are sinewy bean poles. Frank Medrano might be one who can.

I graduated from highschool in 71' at 6'3" and change and 195 lbs. Id
spent the previous 12 yrs doing both downhill and x-country skying
during the winter months, archery competion and canoe racing during
the summer months. My arms were IRRC 17" in diameter. In fact..they
were about as big or bigger than my neck. Helping a couple log cutters
didnt hurt much either.
I had pretty good upper body strength..shrug..not much for legs and
thighs..but chest, shoulders and biceps...shrug. I wasnt big and
beefy like the body builder types..but when I grabbed ahold of
something..it generally didnt get away. I could....get 15 decent one
arm pullups

Bull****. You've never done a single one-handed pull-up.

I knew one guy, built like an gorilla that could do 30 without
breaking much of a sweat.

No, you didn't. HERE is who does one-handed pull-ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOVJhXU5Q0

It's someone who is *young* - not 53 ****ing years of age and about to
have cardiac bypass surgery - and weighs 40-50 pounds less than you did
when you lied and said in 2005 that you could do five.

You've never done so much as one.