Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Cracked resistor?

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 22:08:17 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 16:54:42 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:

So, a customer sent me a board with the query "whuzzup?"

It turns out that there's a resistor in there, which I mostly put in so
that I could monitor current, but I kinda put in as a last-ditch fuse
(1.5 ohm 0603).

On this board, the resistor is open-circuit with no discernible
burning.
Is there some electronic mechanism that could cause this? Or am I just
looking at a faulty part?

I assume you've got your test prods directly on the pads so you know
it's not just a dry joint?

X-posted to s.e.r (more appropriate group)

Yes. But making that mistake isn't beyond me, by any means. It's a very
well-assembled board (I didn't do it), but well designed, too (I did it
-- and I'm modest, just ask me).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services