Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 10:40:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"Grumble, and $15 gone. "

That's nothing.

That's my lunch plus a tip.

You probably have your first dollar

It was a $2 bill and it disappeared in a move long ago. I replaced it
with my first rubber check.

and you got better credit than at least 90 % of
the population in this country.

Yep. I am authorized by my predatory bank (Wells Fargo) to dig a
bigger hole for myself and bury myself in it. As I get older, my
credit improves even though my income has dropped. That's because the
bank knows that I'll probably die before I pay off any loan and they
can then grab the collateral.

But I do understand that $15 is probably $20 today.

Sorry. I don't recall what I paid. I just looked up what a 48 AAA
box is currently selling at Costco. If it's really 10 years old, then
I probably only paid about $10.

That can probably still get you a bag of weed over there in
case you happen to smoke it.

You would not believe how many retail "medical marijuana" places we
have in the area. At the present rate, they'll outnumber tattoo
parlors and electronic smoke shops. Looks like all I can get for $15
is a gram or two:
http://health.costhelper.com/medical-cannabis.html

Anyway, I think we have to see by now that batteries leak whether
you use them or not. When depends on the brand I guess, or not so
much. Maybe the manufacturer.

I had previously proclaimed that Costco Kirkland batteries leak less
than Duracell batteries. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess the next
questions are what makes them leak and how do I prevent leakage?
Refrigeration?

The company that sells Duracells is probably not in the US so
they probably have them made elswhere. Hell, Union Carbide was
doing that in India when my sister still needed a fake ID to
drink. Boy if I had some money when their stock dropped like
a rock I could have made a nice little pile.

Yep:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Speaking of which, how come that package says "Piles" on it ?
Is that some foreign word for batteries ?

Dunno. A "bank" of batteries has always be referred to as a "pile".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaic_pile
Note: This has little to do with my reference to a disorganized web
site as a "web pile".

In fact those aren't even batteries technically, they are
cells. A battery means a bunch of them like a nine volt. But
like alot of words in this country, they are used incorrectly,
but once accepted the thing is that the listener understands
the speaker. But I have never seen the word piles on anything
of the sort.

Thanks. I never thought of it that way. Sounds right.
However, words and phrases have a tendency to change meaning. If you
call a cell a battery often and long enough, the definition can
change.

We have to treat them like electrolytic caps I guess. I have
read plenty of people reporting that they leaked without
ever being used.

Yep. As with drugs and foods, an expiration date is a nifty feature
for the manufacturer. Toss the battery out before it goes bad. Or,
like the bulging electrolytics, toss the entire product out before the
capacitors trash it. Kinda like a built in warranty timer.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558