Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Replace Electronic Air Cleaner with Pleated Filter?

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 9:43:04 AM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
trader_4 posted for all of us...

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:14:05 PM UTC-4, Nav wrote:
replying to toller, Nav wrote:
So do you just insert the pleated filter of same size into the housing of the
electronic air cleaner ? Would it just work sitting there like the standard
filters?

That would seem to depend on the design of the electronic air cleaner
and we have no specifics. In general, I'd suspect they are not designed
to accept standard filter media, but it's possible it might work in
some. There are measurements for the filters, you can measure the
filter unit. I'd think even if they are close in size, it may not seal
properly around the filter as compared to the electrostatic slide out
part and air would get by, etc.

It may also dramatically decrease the air flow rate.

--
Tekkie

It will have some more airflow resistance than an electronic, but I've never
seen a furnace blower that wasn't capable of handling one of the media
type air filters. The reason they are so thick is that they have deep
pleats that greatly increase the surface area.