BillR

Default Central Heating question

Mike Hibbert wrote:
Hi all,

I have been thinking about my central heating this morning as it
seems to be getting very toasty at the moment. We have a Combi boiler
(Worcester Bosch Highflow 400) which has a heat setting on it. There
are TRV on all the rads (except the bathroom - I assume to stop the
boiler overheating if the TRV's shut off) , but we dont have a room
stat.

Are the TRV's really temperature controlled or do they simply reduce
the amount of water the rad can get? If that is the case, then with
no room stat, the only way I can control the overall temperature is
by the boiler, so I have to go into the garage and turn it down/up.
Is this a normal set up?

Its normal for installers to fit TRVs on all rads because they can't be
bothered with the hassle of roomstat wiring...
Normally I would leave the heating on 24*7 during the winter and
control it via the room stat so it would get to a reasonable temp and
then switch off, but now if I leave the heating on the boiler tuns
all the time (this must be expensive!!) and the bathroom is like a
sauna. The missus loves it, but I guess the heating bills will be
huge!

Any thoughts?

Fit a programmable room stat. If wiring it up is a problem get one of the RF
models e.g. CM67 RF.