Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Bickle Travis Bickle is offline

Default New carpet preparation

On 10/1/16 9:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 8:04:33 PM UTC-4, Travis Bickle wrote:
On 10/1/16 9:35 AM, KenK wrote:
How do you measure for new carpet? To the nearest rounded foot, to the
next higher foot, to the next inch, convert inches in measurement to
decimal foot, ???

What about tack strips - all places where carpet touches a wall? Or are
there other places these should also be used?

How is carpet puchased? To the nearest square foot? Or is it rounded up
to the number of feet in standard carpet roll width - 20 ' or whatever?

How do you determine what thickness of padding to buy?

What else should I know while measuring?

Anything else I should have asked as a complete carpet purchasing tyro?

TIA

Kenny my boy, it's clear that as little as you know about carpet and
installation, the best advice is to head on down to your favorite carpet
store and let them handle it...

Yeah, because learning new things is bad. Never strive to expand your knowledge. Never
try to educate yourself even if it's only to protect yourself from unscrupulous tradesmen.
Never try to educate yourself so you'll know if there are more options than you had considered.
Stay ignorant. If you don't know how to do something, always ask someone else to do it for
you. There's never a reason to better yourself.

It's obvious to anyone with even minimal critical thinking skills that
the OP's reach is well beyond his grasp. He'd quickly get in way over
his head. Hey, if he wants to **** away thousands of dollars and end up
with his house looking like crap, it's his call.

I was just trying to save the guy some money and some grief- not to
mention what he'd get from his wife- until he hired a professional to
come in behind him to fix his DIY disaster ;-)

--
You are entitled to your own views. You are not entitled to your own facts.