Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Removing lock on a locked-open safe

On Oct 2, 2016, Ignoramus4179 wrote
(in ):

On 2016-10-01, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

A little followup. I got the job done and the safes are in my place.

The safe that is locked open is great and beautiful and changing the
combo should not be a problem. I just do not know how to do it, but
plenty of materials are available to learn.

I started opening one of the locked closed safes. I started with an
old black Diebold. Someone already tried to open it, but that person
did not understand how safes work.

Well, I have no idea how much such a safe would be worth. But, it seems
that opening a safe by just trying all combinations would not take terribly
long, if it is just a 3-number combination. (5 number safes would take
maybe 2500 times longer.) Some comments on this are in Richard Feynman's
book, which is a great read if you haven't read them.

Both locked closed safes are, in my opinion, worth nothing. One is
already ruined as the hinges are cut off. Another is not lookin super
great and not worth a few hours of picking. Since we do not know how
to do it, it will take a long time.

Plus I want to practice safecracking, if feels vaguely exciting, like
riding a rollercoaster. I know that it is not illegal to break into
those safes, but it feels a bit like an adventure.

Isnt it the most fun if you blow the safe with nitro, like in the good old
days of safecracking jobs?

Or at least a thermal lance?

Joe Gwinn