Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Got me a Lincoln TIG 200

Larry Jaques wrote:

Were you using less or more gas with the standard cup?

The standard cupo produces turbulent mixing with the surrounding air. The
gas lens produces minimum turbulence, so that air is not introduced near the
electrode. If you hold the torch so a stong light makes a shadow on a wall,
you can easily see the flow of argon, and see the difference in how smoothly
a gas lens flows out of the cup.

Do machines with water cooled torches not have that delay?
tilts head

My Lincoln Square Wave TIG has adjustable pre-flow and post-flow timer
settings. The gas valve is in the WELDER, not the cooler, so it is a welder
function. So, it wouldn't care about the torch cooling. I have only used a
water-cooled torch. I can't imagine air-cooled can be used at high current,
the electrode gets WAYY hotter than the work.

Jon