Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New carpet preparation

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 10:37:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
KenK wrote:
How do you measure for new carpet? To the nearest rounded foot, to the
next higher foot, to the next inch, convert inches in measurement to
decimal foot, ???

....snip...
..

What else should I know while measuring?

They're going to come out and measure your rooms , you need to measure
also , total sq feet divided by 9 to get yardage then add a little - if
their measurements differ significantly from yours go somewhere else -
padding the yardage is a very common trick to pad the bottom line .

Great advice, except for that part. (IMO)

You have automatically assumed that a difference in measurements means
that they are ripping him off.

In this situation we have a complete novice (no offense intended) doing
the measurements and then a professional (assumption) doing the measurements.
A significant difference could be based on experience, not dishonesty.
Seams, direction of carpet, fitting standard size carpet into a non-standard
room, hallways, foyers, stairs, etc. There are a lot of variables.

If the salesman's measurements differed significantly vs. mine, the first
thing I would do is ask him to explain how he came up with those numbers.
I can then either agree that his numbers makes sense (i.e. I missed something),
I can question him further or verify his numbers through other means (if I'm
still uncomfortable) or I can send him packing if I think he is trying to
rip me off.